- 1-pound elbow pasta, cooked in equal parts chicken stock and water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 4 cups grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes (this is called a roux). Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. When the milk begins to steam, whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheddar, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the macaroni into small, individual fry pans or ramekins. Top each ramekin with the yellow and white grated cheeses, alternating each to create a striped 'zebra' pattern. Place the ramekins under a broiler or in a warm oven until the cheese is just melted. (Don't let it sit too long, or the cheese will run together).